Skip to main content

Day 8: The New First Day of School

Today was our first NEW day of school. Remote school. School where I can't interact face to face with students and colleagues. It's doable but tough. So much is lost when one is only communicating with written language through a keyboard. Videoconferencing should alleviate some of this but we have to wait for permission from parents. 

During my lunch, I joined a Zoom video conference hosted by Meredith Atwood. You have probably never heard of her but I've been a fan for years now.  In the triathlon world, she is known as swimbikemom.com and I've had the pleasure of meeting her.  She just published a book, "The Year of No Nonsense:How to Get Over Yourself and Get On With Your Life"  (https://www.amazon.com/Year-No-Nonsense-Over-Yourself/dp/0738285536) and she is now hosting daily community meet ups.  Today was a great day to participate in her Community Meet Up because her guest was Mike Reilly.  Unless you are a triathlete or are related to a triathlete, you have never heard of Mike Reilly. He is the "voice of Ironman."  For over 30 years, Mike has announced finishers of Ironman Triathlons (2.4mile swim/112mile bike/26.2mile run all completed in 17 hours or less).  In 2014, he called my name as I crossed the finish line at Ironman Mont Tremblant in Quebec. I trained for over 2 years to hear Mike say, "Kirsten Surprenant, YOU are an IRONMAN."  
 Image result for daily community meetup 
What does this have to do with our current global pandemic, working from home, and remote teaching and learning?  At first, I signed into the Zoom conference because I find listening to Mike and Meredith inspiring. Then Mike explained how this pandemic doesn't have a specific finish line. That is so true. I know that I am working from home until April 3rd at the earliest. What comes after that?  What does the rest of the school year look like?  How do we know when the pandemic is over? 

There were over 100 people on the Zoom conference and that highlighted his second point, "you aren't alone."  While I may be sitting alone in my home office, I wasn't alone while on speaker phone with colleague Rachel while we were having a Google Stream chat with our first block students. Other colleagues were sending texts and my email was exploding with more communication from more colleagues and students.   

Participating in the Zoom conference set up another of Mike's points, "Teachers love to teach because they love to learn." My lunch break on Zoom was my learning time.  Participating in a videoconference as a "student" helps me better understand how this will work with my students. No matter what happens with remote learning, we are all learning new skills, abilities, and habits that may open doors we have never imagined.


Finally, and most importantly, Mike reiterated what he tells the 2500+ athletes who are anxiously standing on an Ironman start line waiting to dive into the water for the swim. I remember this clearly as I stood trembling on the beach of Lac Tremblant at 6:30 am August 17, 2014. "You can only control your own attitude and your attitude will get you through it." 



Comments

  1. I am hating working from home. I'm pretty much a homebody, and my social interaction was mainly at school with students and staff. I especially miss the students, both the Academy students and the Westshire students, from the Visions program. if it wasn't for social distance walking with Christina Bolles and intense texting between all the special ed staff I would be in trouble.
    Kirsten your attitude and perseverance in life and doing an Ironman is empowering.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Day 3: School Shut Down

One thing that has changed as a result of school closings due to this pandemic is my daily routine. Getting to school between 7:30 and 7:45 is normal for me and I am still doing it even though I don't technically have to. Working on remote learning assignments and logistics still feels better in my classroom than at home. Many colleagues are doing the same so it is nice to have the interaction. By the end of the week, I will adapt my daily routine to work from home.  School staff and students are very accustomed to strict daily routines that not having one at all can be rather disconcerting. Educators are recommending that students and families develop a daily schedule to provide structure for learning and family. Working from home will be interesting as I adapt to what my school is recommending as a schedule. My son who had to come home from his spring semester of college will develop his own routine for finishing his course work and having mom and dad as his roommates. So f

Day 5: Packing Up to Work From Home #WFH

This is my stack of materials I am bringing home from my classroom. I am cautiously optimistic that I will be able to engage with the following while I am at home facilitating remote teaching and learning. The stack includes: Climate Change and Questions of Justice curriculum  published by the Choices Program at Brown University. This is at the top of the list because I am team teaching a Global Environmental Science class with a science colleague and this curriculum is the structure for our class. NEASC Self Reflection Guide for Accreditation  - our school just started this process last month and I am the chairperson of our steering committee. For those who don't know what NEASC is, it is the New England Association of Schools and Colleges - aka - the school accreditation organization. Back copies of Social Education published by the National Council for Social Studies. There are excellent lesson plan ideas that I want to read and think about. In the midst of all of our